A good alternative to an elliptical cross trainer is the elliptical glider. The elliptical glider is preferred by many people who have issues with their hips, knees, or ankles. Instead of using step motions, you simply glide your legs back and forth with the handles. To help you find the right glider for your home, we looked at the most popular gliders in the market and found the best models at different price points. The ideal machine of this type should have a clear LCD display, comfortable foot pads, and offer fluid motion. Check out our top recommendations!
5. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-E902
This elliptical glider can be found at a very low price point. It’s a very small space-saving machine that has a weight capacity of 220 lbs. Unlike other machines, it has an LCD display that tracks spent time, reps, distance, and burned calories. The foot pads are also textured to ensure that there is no slippage during workouts. On top of that, these are also oversized to fit a wide range of foot sizes.
- Solid performance for the price. This is one of the highest rated models in its price category.
- The LCD monitor is a nice addition as other models in its price range sometimes lack this feature.
- While this machine is very affordable, the construction and durability aren’t as good as the more expensive models out there.
4. EFITMENT Air Walker Glider Elliptical Machine
This elliptical glider is in the mid price range. It differs from the last model in that it has a side ways sway action. This functionality is great if you are looking to target the inner and outer thighs. Such a model offers a 220 lb weight capacity, 180 degree free range motion, and a design that fits most heights. It also has a digital monitor that tracks your progress.
- Priced reasonably well for a solid product.
- The side sway function is standard in many premium models, so it’s nice to find it in a mid-price range model as well.
- A few customers had trouble with assembly due to missing bolts and screws. Packaging needs to be more solid.
Bonus Read: Concept2 Model D Review
3. Fitness Reality Dual Action/Multi-Direction Air Walker
The Fitness Reality Dual Action/Multi-Direction Air Walker is a solid alternative to the Efitment model. It has a 225 lb weight capacity, 36-inch range motion, and dual action arms. There are several features that help this model stand out from the other Efitment elliptical glider suggestions.
This one has dual action arms for extra upper body workouts. It also has a pulse sensor so that you can track your heart rate. On top of that, it also folds to half its size, making it super space saving. Fitness Reality does lack the sideways swing function. Nonetheless, if you’re not looking for this feature, this model is a strong buy.
- Many strong features like the secondary handles and pulse sensor may steer you towards this model.
- The foldable design is perfect for apartments. Despite the foldable design, it remains quite sturdy during use.
- Some customers report that it can be squeaky. Therefore, don’t expect a quiet exercise session with this machine.
2. Gazelle Edge Elliptical Glider
The Gazelle Edge is a popular elliptical glider in the upper price range. It has a high weight capacity of 250 lbs which is higher than the previous models in this list. The Gazelle Edge is very fluid compared to the other gliders.
However, we did find that it lacked many features like the pulse tracker, extra handles, and sideways swing function. If you’re focused more on the function of the actual glider, this is a strong choice.
- Very fluid and stable motion. Feels better than other gliders.
- Higher weight capacity than many other gliders which is very much appreciated.
- The LCD on the machine could be bigger and it could be designed better from a user interface perspective.
1. Gazelle Supreme Step Machines
This Gazelle Supreme Step Machine is a step above the previous model. It is like an upgraded version of the Edge due to its sturdier construction, higher quality material, and enhanced comfort. The weird thing about the machine is that the resistance cannot be adjusted properly and it starts out higher than average. That’s why you have to make sure that you’re already accustomed to higher resistance levels before you buy this model.
- High-quality parts, improved comfort, and a more sturdy design.
- Great for heavier individuals due to its 300 lb weight capacity.
- The resistance on this machine can’t be adjusted and starts out higher than other machines.
All of these elliptical gliders are very popular with consumers and are some of the best in their price category. Each one has clear strengths and weaknesses as well as different features. You’ll need to pay careful attention to what each model comes with to ensure you buy a glider that you’re going to be satisfied with.